Family Portrait Clothing Tips
The fall is upon us! And it’s never too early to start thinking about your family portraits this year…
We’ve put together a few ideas to help you coordinate your clothing before your family gathers for their annual group photo. Whether it’s just the four of you or the entire fam including grandpa and gram, here are a few tips that will help you pull it together.
1. Coordinate colors but do not match. We’ve all done the white shirts on the beach thing (guilty hand raised), so let’s dress like we normally would, uniquely. Look at your home decor for inspiration…are there bright colors? Neutrals? Since you will be hanging these photos in your home, think about balancing your color choices accordingly. Tell the family ‘bold colors,’ or ‘grays, navys, black and tan,’ and let everyone decide for themselves within the color scheme.
2. Include accessories. Accessories like a tie, suspenders, a chunky necklace or high waisted belt not only add to your outfits’ personality, but they can be fun to use in the photos too. We can use a scarf to wrap around two sets of shoulders or a hat to peek eyes out from behind…
3. Limit Patterns. If one guy wants to wear a plaid shirt or one lady wants to wear a floral dress, great. But then balance the pattern with solids or a softer pattern like a thin stripe. If everyone has bold patterns it could distract in the image.
4. Leave out logos or characters. That may be your husband’s favorite Hurley shirt or your child’s favorite movie, but big logos, text and characters will not only off set a photograph, it will date it too.
5. Use Texture. Textures add a lot of interest to an image. So think about including some lace tights or a tweed blazer. It will add variety and dimension.
6. Have fun and express your individuality. Every family member is distinct, so dress accordingly! As long as your color scheme and style levels coordinate, express yo-self!
While most of these are Lovato Images, I found some of these images on Pinterest. So apologies for the lack of credit to the fab photographers’ work posted here, but it wasn’t posted on the Pins! Note to Pinterest users, please credit your photographers! And photographers or friends who recognize work here, please let me know so I can credit accordingly. Great shots and clothing inspiration!